In 1852, William Gomes was sent to Lundu where he opened a mission centre at the village of Stunggang. Gomes immediately opened a school and started translating Christian materials into Malay. By 1855 a church has been built. He baptised his first eight converts (Samuling, Bulang, Bugai, Sageng, Langi, Samuel, Puntang and Janggut) in Kuching on 27 May 1855. The first baptism in Lundu was that of Intai in August, 1855. In 1856 McDougall visited and confirmed 11 candidates. Gomes was making slow progress in Lundu. The few helpers sent to help him did not stay long in that isolated outstation. In 1864, Bulang ( a former manang ) and Bugai were made catechists to assist in Lundu.
Work among the Selakau started in early 1863 when Richardson went to live in Sedemak. By 1864, a belian church had been built at Sedemak. It was dedicated to St. Mark and was opened by licence in 1866. By then there were over a hundred Christians at Sedemak. Much progress was made and more opportunities were opened but sadly in 1868, Richardson had to resign because of failing health. The work in Sedemak was continued by Bulang. Meanwhile, in 1867 Gomes left Stunggang for good as was replaced by Lewis Zehnder. Zehnder had to look after Sedemak and other Selakau areas as well. He also reached out to the Bidayuh close to Stunggang. In 1870, Bugai died – a great loss to mission work at Lundu, someone whom Zehnder regarded as “our most advanced Dayak”. Malay continued to be used in worship because of the many dialects spoken in Lundu. Tommy Hugh was made catechist in Stunggang in 1878. Bulang at Sedemak continued faithfully until his death in 1894. Zehnder resigned in 1897, after 30 years of faithful service in Lundu. He died in Stunggang in 1898.
In 1898, Leggatt arrived to look after the mission in Lundu, which was on the decline. He left in 1907, and Lundu was without a priest for a while. It was left to Hope Hugh, a layreader, to look after things at Stunggang. Visits continued to be made from Kuching, including a delegation to encourage Hugh in 1908. Tata was appointed layreader at Sedemak.
Later, Saban was appointed catechist to look after Stunggang, a duty he discharged faithfully by taking Sunday services and trying his very best to take care of the buildings as well. Collis visited Lundu a few times in 1913, and finally in 1914, he moved to Lundu hoping to revive the Church life there. However, he stayed only for a year. Lundu again found itself becoming one of Kuching’s outstation. Saban continued to look after the church and Hope Hugh looked after the school. In Sedemak layreader Konday revived the Church and ran a small school. A rebuilt chapel was dedicated to St. Peter in 1926. In 1929, Hugh moved to Betong for a short training. In 1934, he left again to join the Ordination Test School in Kuching. Saban retired in 1933, but continued to give assistance especially during the War.
After his ordination to the priesthood in 1937, Hugh returned to Stunggang to look after Lundu and during the War kept the Church going. He also visited Sedemak and Serayan. Bishop Hollis visited Lundu in 1947. Another episcopal visit took place in 1951 which included a visit to Sedemak., where Edward had taken over from his late father, Konday. In 1955, Angking came from Saratok to exchange places with Hugh. Hugh, however, retired in 1956 and came back to live in Stunggang where he continued to offer his services to the Church. Angking left in 1958 and his place was taken over by Eric Scott. Scott made monthly visits to Sedemak, Serayan and Sematan. By this time it was already decided that the Mission centre should be moved to Lundu town. The new church was dedicated to St. Francis on 17 April 1961. Under Scott, the Church expanded to other Selakau areas and the Iban areas in the coastal region. After many years Scott retired and lived and live at Rukam, among the Selakau, the people he loved and dedicated his life for. He died on 22 December 1989.