D. BUNUK

Bunuk1 The first outreach to Bunuk came in 1926 when a student from Kuap opened a class there. A school was opened at Bengoh and also at Danu in 1950. At Bunuk a private school was handed over to the Church at the beginning of 1952. In early 1958 Miss Simit went to Bunuk to work as a health visitor. Early in 1959, miss Beryl Hobby arrived to work with Simit in Bunuk. Miss Nicholl also moved to Bunuk after her stint at Padawan.

Bunuk1a

Goper, a local man, provided his land for the building of a church. The church in Bunuk was consecrated by Bishop Allenby on 30 September 1963, and was dedicated to St. Paul. Bunuk, however, continued to be ministered from Kuap. Bunuk became a parish in March 1971, when Christopher Lewis became the first priest to be stationed there. Lewis left in March 1974, and Matthew Raban, a catechist then, was asked to look after the parish. Raban went for his theological training, shortly after, and Catechist Dennis Sarong from Kuap was appointed to look after Bunuk. After his ordination in January 1976, Raban returned to Bunuk to become priest in charge. Raban was transferred to Engkilili in December 1990 and the present incumbent, Andrew Paha took over.