pg-12 ERNEST DENNY LOGIE DANSON (1917 – 1931)


Logie Danson was born in Aberdeen, Scotland, where he served as a curate after his ordination. His first posting in the East was at Seremban in Negri Sembilan    in    1911. After his consecration as Bishop of Kuching, he came to Sarawak in 1918. His episcopate was a period of much building activity, outreach among the Iban, and serious promotion of the indigenous ministry.After his retirement from Sarawak, he served as Provost of St.Mary’s, Edinburgh, and later Bishop of Edinburgh. He passed away in December 1946.





NOEL BARING HUDSON (1932 – 1937)

Noel Baring Hudson had been vicar of St.John’s, in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, when he was called to Sarawak in 1931. His arrival here coincided with the worst part of the depression. He husbanded the scarce resources to the best of his ability. The Ordination Test School for training local clergy was started during Hudson’s episcopate, when he invited the Mirfield fathers work in the Diocese. After his resignation from Sarawak Hudson became Secretary of the SPG, Bishop of St.Albans, Newcastle and later Ely. He passed away in October 1970.







Francis Hollis was trained for the sacred ministry at Dorchester Missionary College, where he was ordained in 1913/14. He came to Sarawak in 1916 and served at the Cathedral and as principal of St.Thomas School until 1923, when he was put in charge at St.James Quop.

He was made Archdeacon of Sarawak in 1934, and consecrated Bishop of Sarawak in 1938.

Hollis’ episcopate was violently disrupted by the war. Internment from 1941 to 1945 seriously undermined his health, and in 1948 he resigned the see after 32 years of service in Sarawak. He served as Assistant Bishop of Leicester until he passed away in February 1955.

Hollis enthronement 1938

Nigel Cornwall

NIGEL CORNWALL (1949 – 1962)

Nigel Cornwall was consecrated Bishop in Westminster Abbey on 1 November 1949 and enthroned as Bishop of Borneo on 20 December the same year in Kuching. He had been a missionary in the Diocese of Masai, Tanganyika, from 1939, and from 1944 had been headmaster at Chidya. After the war and prior to his consecration he also worked as a missionary in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). His episcopacy coincided with the post war reconstruction and preparation for Sarawak’s independence within Malaysia. As a means of training local men for the priesthood a theological school – the present House of the Epiphany- was started in 1952. The highpoint of his episcopate was the construction of the new St. Thomas’s Cathedral in Kuching. It was also during his time that the Centenary of the Founding of the Anglican Church in Borneo was celebrated on a grand scale. (The celebrations did not take place till 1955, seven years late, because of the conditions prevailing in Sarawak following the devastating World War and the effects of the Japanese occupation.) For nearly one and a half years, till April 1956, he acted as the principal of St. Thomas’ School. The policy of the Mission at that time was that the Principal must be a missionary and if possible a priest. He decided to carry out the duties of the principal, himself till Rev. Norman Keen came to take charge of the school. Whenever he could afford the time, he traveled widely visiting parts of the diocese. To prepare himself to cope with the harsh conditions available in the stations in the interior, he used to sleep on the floor in the Bishop’s house. Nigel Cornwall was a keen sportsman. He had played hockey for the All European Team while in Ceylon and turned up for, the Kuching Civilians’ hockey team regularly. Late in life, in 1960, he married another Missionary worker whom he had met while working in Ceylon. During one of his sermons he was to declare, “In the past I used to talk about love and preach about love. But until I met her and married her, I did not know the real power of love”. Nigel Cornwall returned to England in September 1962 and for a time served as the Assistant Bishop of Wichester. He passed away in 1984.