The first visit to Bintulu by a bishop happened after the War, when Bishop Hollis visited the place in June 1947. The next visit came in 1951, when Bishop Hudson visited the small Anglican congregation, which had not been visited for many years. Hudson arranged that they should be visited from Miri, two or three times a year.
Expansion of the Anglican work in Bintulu really took off in the 1960s, when Archdeacon Peter Howes took the initiative to visit Bintulu and its hinterland, more frequent and regularity. Worships in Bintulu were conducted initially in members’ houses during pastoral visits. In 1962, a site for a church in Bintulu was acquired through the good office of William Nais, the District Officer. The church was completed six years later and was dedicated to St. Thomas.
Howes’ absorbing interest in rural evangelism soon took him to the upper reaches of Tatau river, where Anglican congregations began to spring up in various and odd places. Thus, a mission station was established at Ulu Tatau, and a chapel was soon built there dedicated to the Holy Angels. A catechist had been stationed there until recently.
In 1969, Bintulu received its first resident priest when Ambrose Dunggat was posted there. Dunggat was posted there. He remained there until 1977, when Edmund Paleng took over from him. Paleng served there until 1984, when he was replaced by David Evans. Evans served for a year, and in 1985 the present incumbent, Bolly Lapok, took over. The parish of Bintulu covers the entire Bintulu division, where half of the congregations are scattered among the rural centres and in long houses along the Sibu/Bintulu/Miri highway.